Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Watching the car - São Paulo

Image credit: www.joseluizalmeida.com

My tolerance for bull**** was at an all-time low yesterday afternoon as I parked my car a block away from the Spanish bank branch where I was sure to have a non-helpful customer service experience. It wasn't my car, actually, but the monster truck that belongs to my husband. Large, old, bullet-proofed, scratched, dinged. 

As I parked the car, the rain started and that of course annoyed me because I had left my umbrella at the house. So as I closed the door, and made a run for the bank, a man stepped in front of me and said "can I watch your car?" Yes, a flanelinha, the guys that made me spout off crabbiness in another blog last year. I looked at him with the "wtf?" face that sometimes works and said "ummm, it's bullet-proof but if you want to watch it, feel free."

After having the expected annoying customer service experience with the Spanish señores, I came back out into a light mist of rain. As I came close to the car, the man approached me. I couldn't resist the following remarks:

Me: "So was the car okay?"

Flanelinha: "Oh yes."

Me: "Did anyone approach it?"

Flanelinha: "No, Senhora"

Me: "So it was all okay over here?"

Flanelinha: "Yes"

Me: "Well, great. I'm glad you were here watching out for my car."

And I gave him 50 cents. And so much sarcasm, the rain was dripping with it.

Hate this. But then I'm just having one of those bad days.
 

2 comments:

  1. The flanelinha's business is an interesting one: pay me to watch your car so I won't vandalize it! There used to be two flanelinhas stationed permanently on our block in Higienopolis, close to FAAP. We lived in a beautiful old building built in the 1940s that lacked a parking space. Between the flanelinhas and the restaurant valets competing for every last space, parking was always an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just makes me crazy! And yeah, I used to live in San Francisco and there parking was REALLY tough.

      Delete