Friday, January 17, 2014

Supercamp - São Paulo


Helicopter mom spies on the first few minutes of Supercamp
My kids are in Superférias this week. Roughly translated, it means "Supercamp". It is held at our little club and I'm guessing there are around 70 kids there--ranging in age from 3 to 12. It is one of the few camps that accepts kids at such a young age for a full day. 

Kids arrive at 9:30 and leave at 5 pm. Suffice it to say that most normal kids are exhausted at the end of the day. Suffice it to say that the 7 year old supertwins are barely winded and go on to destroy my house at will after coming home. 

During the camp, the kids do all kinds of stuff--zooming down zip lines and getting chased by a goat at Bichomania (some petting zoo/animal farm outside of São Paulo), pool time and scavenger hunts around the club, and whatever else they do. In fact, I do not want to know the details as I would probably have a helicopter-mom heart attack. So, you would think I would have had to sign maaaaannnny documents to allow them to do all this. You would be wrong.

Last US summer, one of my sons went to a nature camp at the Morton Arboretum outside of Chicago. I had to fill out 2 pages of information about my kid. Emergency contacts, allergies, doctors, all the addresses he had ever lived, who was allowed to pick him up and drop him off, my financial information and the color of my underwear. Only one of these is not true. Then there was a third page which was a medical form with all kinds of detailed questions about surgeries, what to do in case of emergency, etc. I got a hand cramp off of all of this. Also I had to sign off on getting charged $20 per 10 minutes late to pick them up (I have twice been late at our club more than 15 minutes and got charged a grand total of zero).

The sign-up sheet for the club went like this:
Name
Parents' names
Member number
Phone number. 
One week or two (check box)
Signature

It's all you need. Love Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment