Thursday, May 30, 2013

Motorcycle Chicken Wire - Piracaia


I have seen motorcycle drivers carry all kinds of stuff. This is the first time I have seen the passenger carry an entire roll of chicken wire. It was so hard to see the driver in front of the guy with the wire that one of my kids asked how he could drive with one hand on the back of the motorcycle and one hand holding the chicken wire. But there are two on that bike.  It was leaning pretty far left when we passed it.

Two people on a motorcycle has a special term here. It is called "andando na garupa". I can't figure out how to translate this. When I ask google translate (ah, the horror!) for a suggestion, it says "going with the croup" which is undoubtedly wrong. And if I change the spelling to "andando na garoupa", you are making it into a grouper on the back of your motorcycle. Someone Brazilian please help me out.  Regardless of the reality now, I always picture "andando na garupa" as schools of groupers on motorbikes following me. In 7 pm traffic, it's not too far from the truth.

It used to be that I would get a little nervous when I saw a motorcycle with someone as a grouper in the back. There was a crime wave of the groupers banging guns on your car window as you stopped at a light and asking for your purse, cellular, watch, whatever. But now I have a bulletproof car. The grouper would hurt his fin if he banged on it...




No comments:

Post a Comment